As I’ve stated on this blog before, it isn’t a sin for a person to drink beer. But it doesn’t take very much time in the bible to figure out that getting intoxicated is a sin. The abuse and overuse of alcohol does constitute as a disconnection between us and Jesus. So this poses the question, “How many beers can I drink before I get drunk?” (the wording my be a little off on this question but the main thought is…how many beers = drunk)
If you didn’t know, I work for UPS doing sales. I sale the services that UPS provide, mainly shipping. One of the most common questions I get from customers is, “How much does it cost to ship with UPS?” Every time I get asked this question, it takes a lot of self-control to not start laughing hysterically in their face. There are so many variables that go into determining the cost to ship a package (weight, distance, level of service, size of package, additional charges, ect.). The answer isn’t cut and dry. The same goes for how many beers it takes for a person to get drunk.
I worked my way through college as a waiter at a steak and sea food joint (one of three jobs). In order to work there, I had to get licensed to serve alcohol in the state of New Mexico. The majority of the class was spent learning how to tell if someone was intoxicated. Just like the cost for shipping, the variables that go into telling if someone is drunk are numerous:
- How many drinks?
- How much time was between each drink?
- What is the persons height?
- How much do they weigh?
- Did they eat anything?
- Are they male or female?
We could go into the intricacies of how these variables work together to determine whether or not you are intoxicated. But here are some simple things to keep in mind.
- Your liver can process one drink of alcohol per hour (one single shot, one glass of wine, one glass of beer). Therefore, the faster you drink the more likely you are to get drunk. Space out your drinks and you will be less likely to get drunk.
- The bigger you are…the more area the alcohol has to cover. Therefore, the larger you are…the more you can drink before you get drunk.
- If you have food in your stomach, it slows down how fast the alcohol gets into your system. Therefore if you eat before you drink, you can drink more.
Those are some general rules. But the main rule is to just know your own body. I’ve known 6’5″ guys that get smashed with one drink, and I know 5’7″ women who could drink Ted Kennedy under the table. Each person needs to know and set their own limit. For instance I generally don’t drink more than two beers in an hour. I know that if i get over that amount that I’m starting to push it. I feel light headed and loose a little bit of physical control. So I just keep to two drinks an hour.
So how many beers can you drink before you get drunk? That’s a good question and one that you need to figure out for yourself.--------------------